Making plans to travel by plane and wanting to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful rays, then it is normal to wonder if you can bring spray sunscreen on board. Sunscreen plays a vital role for many travelers, especially for the ones who are leading their way to sunny destinations. The good news is that spray sunscreen is generally allowed on planes, but there are a few guidelines you should be aware of to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience at the airport.
This page presents before you a detailed and understandable picture of the guidelines set by the airline’s concerned authorities on ‘Can you bring sunscreen spray on a plane?’ So make sure you read it till the end of this page.
TSA Guidelines: Can you bring spray-on sunscreen on a plane
TSA looks over the security regulations for air travel in the United States. As per TSA, flyers can bring spray sunscreen on a plane in carry-on baggage and checked baggage. Yet it needs to follow certain distinct rules and regulations that include size restrictions, bag requirements in which the product needs to be packed, and security screening.
Can you bring spray sunscreen on a plane carry-on?
- Passengers are allowed to bring spray sunscreen in carry-on luggage as per set by the TSA. As spray sunscreen is in the form of a liquid, the 3-1-1 TSA liquid limit rule is applicable to these products. As such, the container of spray sunscreen must not exceed the given volume of 3.4 ounces ( i.e. 100 ml).
- Moreover, the containers need to be placed in transparent quart-sized zipped bags in carry-on bags for safety.
- In addition, it will allow a smooth screening by passing through the X-ray at the airport security checkpoint. If one needs to carry large containers or bottles of sunscreen then it must be packed in the checked baggage only.
Can you bring spray sunscreen on a plane-checked luggage
- Flyers are permitted to bring and pack the spray sunscreen in checked baggage but it is required to obey the limitations on the size and weight of the product according to Federal Aviation Administration (FFA).
- The total weight of spray sunscreen should not exceed 70 ounces (i.e. 2kg), or 68 fluid ounces (i.e. 2 liters).
- Each of spray sunscreen container or bottle must not contain greater than 17 fluid ounces (or 500 ml) or 18 ounces (i.e. 0.5 kg).
- Take note to wrap the lids of the spray sunscreen bottle with tape and then seal it to keep it secure.
How Should You Pack Spray Sunscreen?
Packing the items securely that are to be brought on a plane is quite important. Let’s look at the points on how one can pack the spray sunscreen securely in luggage:
- The bottle or container with the product must be bubble wrapped or one can use plastic or protective material in order to store it safely.
- The lids or caps need to be fastened securely in order to prevent leakage while going through transit.
Hence one can sum up as in general passengers can bring spray sunscreen on a plane, yet it is important to stick to the guidelines by TSA regarding the size of the container, weight, security screening process, and bag requirements.
One can smoothly pass through the airport screening checkpoint by following the rules and placing the spray sunscreen inside a clear, quart-sized zip bag in the carry-on bag. At the same, obeying the permissible limits for checked luggage will enable you to pass the TSA airport checkpoint with no hassle.
Also, make sure to review the guidelines of the specific airline and of the destination for a smooth flight trip.